AAA Cares is Teaming Up with Caitlin’s Smiles
and is asking you to help!
The mission of Caitlin’s Smiles is simple; share smiles and laughter with children facing chronic or life-threatening illnesses. The organization distributes arts and crafts kits to hospitals, giving kids an outlet for creativity and the means to heightened feelings of self-worth.
The organization was founded in 2004 after a Harrisburg-based family lost their daughter Caitlin Hornung. Since its founding, the organization has provided more than 1.9 MILLION craft kits to kids in hospitals throughout Central PA and the Mid-Atlantic.
To support their efforts, AAA Cares provided materials to each branch for employees, members and the general public to create kits, delivered to local hospitals.
You can learn more about this wonderful organization and its impact at www.caitlins-smiles.org.
How you can help:
1. Donate $$ directly at www.caitlins-smiles.org
2. Create cards:
Help Give Sick Children Laughs, Hopes and Smiles!
Homemade cards can bring smiles to the faces of children of all ages. Each Coping Kit will have a homemade card, and will be supplied to your local hospital to deliver with the daily mail rounds
When making cards, please keep in mind the following:
- Cards may be any size and shape! We have provided each branch with construction paper and markers to get your creative juices flowing, but feel free to go above and beyond!
- Do not say ‘Get well soon.’ Many of the children are facing terminal or chronic conditions and may not get well, rather they learn to live with their condition.
- Do not include any type of religious message. Caitlin’s Smiles reaches children of many different religious backgrounds.
Spark your Creativity!
Not sure what to say? Consider using some of the following tried and true well wishes!
- Thinking of You
- Sending Warm Wishes
- Sending Smiles (Smiley face theme)
- Sending Bear Hugs (Cutting card into the shape of a bear head)
- Hang in There (with images of monkeys or sloths)
- You’re a Star (shooting star theme)
- You’re a Champion (sports theme)
The possibilities are endless! Get creative, have fun and know your card will light up a child’s day.
Children love bright, bold and silly cards. Jokes, riddles and funny sayings are great to include!
Completed cards may be dropped off at any AAA Central Penn branch upon reopening to be added to a Caitlin’s Smiles Coping Kit. Your Homemade Cards will be delivered along with our Coping Kits at a local hospital to be shared with sick or injured children.