Passport - Airport

Passport Services

To apply for a passport or get one renewed, you need to apply to the United States Government. Fortunately, AAA makes the process easier with our passport services:

Expedited Passport and Travel Visa Service

Make sure you have everything you need in time for your departure date and get exclusive AAA rates on expedited passport and online travel visa courier services. AAA members save 10% with RushMyPassport.

Rush My Passport

  • Get your U.S. passport in as little as one week
  • User-friendly online application with frequent status updates to ensure everything goes smoothly
  • Expert application review to avoid common errors and potential delays
  • Personal advisors are available to assist every step of the way via phone, email, or chat
  • AAA members get exclusive rates on expedited U.S. passport courier services

Get an Expedited Passport

Expedited Travel Visa Services

  • Skip the lines and avoid the hassle of driving or even flying to embassy or consulate offices
  • Enjoy concierge-level service from the comfort of home
  • Professional and experienced travel visa specialists will assist you every step of the way
  • Fast turnaround time for your tourist travel visa
  • AAA exclusive rates on Global Tourist Visa expedited courier services through RushMyPassport

Start Your Expedited Visa

Passport Photos

As a part of your passport application, you need to submit photos that meet the requirements of the government. AAA offers passport photos - compliant the U.S. Passport and Immigration Services requirements - for members and non-members.


Non-members - $15 for one set (2 photos), $17 for two sets, and $19 for three.

Classic members - $8.45 for one set (2 photos), $10.45 for two, and $12.45 for three. (Digital copies are $5.00)

Plus members - NO CHARGE for one set (2 photos) of passport pictures per year. The second set is $8.45, and the third is $10.45. (Digital copies are $2.00)

Premier members - all passport photos are FREE!

AAA Assistance

In addition to expedited service and passport photos, AAA associates can help you find a passport application and instructions online. With guidance from AAA, you'll always be taken to a viable and trustworthy link and can easily find the forms and instructions you need. AAA even has a Passport Acceptance Facility Search so that you can find out where to submit all the documents you need as part of your application.

AAA can also help with related services to assist you when traveling outside the country:

  • International Driving Permit - Planning on renting a car outside the U.S.? AAA can help you apply for an International Driving Permit (IDP) required for driving in numerous countries outside the U.S.
  • Foreign Currency - At AAA Central Penn branches, you can order over 90 currencies. Multiple currencies and denominations can be requested simultaneously. Your currency order can be picked up in as little as 2 business days* at the AAA branch where the order was placed; however, severe weather, and other unforeseen events could cause delays in Federal Express deliveries, so be sure to plan ahead
  • Travel Insurance - Travel insurance helps ensure you have the best experience while exploring the world. AAA offers Allianz Travel Insurance with many benefits, including a 24-hour emergency hotline. We have three insurance policy options - TripAssist Choice, TripAssist Family Care Plan with Cancel Anytime and the standard TripAssist Family Care Plan.

Remember, it's better to handle each of these to-do items before you get on the plane so you don't have to deal with them when you arrive. With all of these logistics taken care of, you can focus on enjoying your trip!

Passport FAQs

Is it possible to get a passport in 24 hours?

There's currently no way to get a passport in 24 hours, but RushMyPassport offers some of the fastest passport turnaround times available with a block of pre-set appointments with the Department of State.

What is the approximate wait time to get or renew a passport?

The average wait time to get a new passport or passport renewal is 6-8 weeks, but wait times can increase based on demand. Shortly after COVID, the Department of State experienced unprecedented demand, and wait times for new passports and passport renewals doubled.

Passport processing times only begin once the Department of State passport agencies or centers receive your application, and do not include mailing times. With increased routine processing times taking up to 13 weeks, this means it could take up to 17 weeks to receive a passport after you've mailed your application. Submit your application as early as possible and consider the total time it will take to receive a passport.

RushMyPassport offers expedited levels of service that can reduce wait times and help you get your passport fast, but these wait times vary based on the availability of appointments with the Department of State (the agency that handles U.S. passports), so it's recommended to add some buffer to account for fluctuations in demand.

Can I still travel if my passport is about to expire?

Your U.S. passport must be valid for at least 6 months beyond your travel dates, as many countries will restrict access if your passport is set to expire in less than 6 months. If you need a passport renewal quickly, RushMyPassport has expedited services to help you get your passport renewed faster.

Is a passport all I need to travel outside the United States?

Required documentation varies by country and the reason you are traveling (tourist vs. business travel).  Some countries require a tourist visa to enter, so you may need to also get a travel visa. Additionally, some countries that don't require a tourist visa may require a business visa if you are traveling for business.

If you plan on renting a car while abroad, AAA can help you obtain your international drivers permit.

Can AAA Travel Advisors or Member Services help me fill out my passport application?

Travel advisors can answer questions about passport and visa requirements, but can't fill out any passport applications or provide advice on how to complete the forms. AAA partner, RushMyPassport, is an expert in this area and can assist you with your passport or visa application, as well as inform you of all of the fees involved in getting both non-expedited and expedited passports, including the execution fee paid to the passport agency. Plus, using RushMyPassport's expedited services can greatly reduce wait times.

What is the difference between a passport card and a passport book?

Both documents are proof of your U.S. citizenship and identity. The main difference is the passport card is less expensive and cannot be used for international air travel.

Passport cards are convenient to carry and can be used for land border crossings and seaports of entry (for cruises) for several nations:

  • Canada
  • Mexico
  • The Caribbean
  • Bermuda

How do I renew a passport that is about to expire?

There are a few caveats to renewing a passport. You can't renew a passport if:

  • It is damaged, lost, or stolen. Learn more about reporting and replacing a lost or stolen passport.
  • It was issued before your 16th birthday.
  • It was issued more than 15 years ago.
  • It was issued in your previous name, and you don't have a legal document such as a marriage license to prove your legal name change.
  • If you are behind in child support payments of $2,500 or more, you cannot get a passport.

If none of the caveats apply to you, here are the steps to renew a passport that is expired or is about to expire:

  • Download and fill out form DS-82, or pick one up from your local passport acceptance facility.
  • Get a passport photo taken and attach it to the form. Visit your nearest AAA branch for passport photo services
  • Write a check or get a money order to pay for the passport fee. These fees vary and can change. Note: You can also get a passport card when renewing your passport.
  • Find your current or most recent passport. Note the exceptions above.
  • Gather any name change documentation (if applicable).
  • Submit the above documentation by mail.

How do I get a new child passport or renew a child passport?

All children, even infants, need their own passports to leave the country by air. There are some cases where this also applies to land and sea travel.

Getting a new child passport or renewing a child passport is much more involved compared to getting or renewing an adult passport, largely due to safeguards that are built into the process designed to protect minors. That's why a child passport is only valid for 5 years (an adult passport is valid for 10 years).

All children must apply for their passports in person, even if they are renewing a passport. The good news is that in most cases this can be done at the nearest passport acceptance office, usually a local post office or library. One thing to keep in mind is the Department of State will only issue a passport for a child under the age of 16 if they have the consent of both parents, and both parents must appear at the passport office in person. There are alternatives if both parents cannot appear in person, but this adds to the complexity of obtaining a child passport and where a RushMyPassport advisor can help with the appropriate documentation.

How do I get a new passport?

The steps outlined below apply to adults 18 and older. There is an additional step for children who are 16-17 years old. If you need a child passport (for anyone under the age of 16), read about obtaining a child passport. 

To get a new passport, you'll need to appear in person at a passport acceptance facility with the following:

  • A completed DS-11 form. Do not sign the form until instructed by a passport agent.
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship in the form of a U.S. birth certificate, certificate of naturalization, or certificate of citizenship. The document must be an original or certified physical document. Copies or pictures will not be accepted.
  • You will also need to bring a photocopy of your proof of U.S. citizenship, which will be sent with the documentation.
  • Valid identification. Some common forms of identification are a driver's license or state ID with photo, current government employee ID (city, county, state, or federal), U.S. military or military-dependent ID.
  • A photocopy of the valid identification listed above. This will be sent with the documentation.
  • If you are a child who is 16-17 years old, and you have a valid identification document, you must show parental awareness. Read more about how to show parental awareness.
  • A passport photo. Find a AAA branch that offers passport photo services.
  • Payment for both the passport fee and the execution fee. These fees must be paid separately. The passport fee must be paid by check, and the execution fee can usually be paid with cash, debit card, or credit card.

When you arrive at the passport office, the agent will review your documents, and assuming everything is correct and in order, the passport agent will "seal" your documents, collect payment, and hand them back to you. At this point, you can mail them to the Department of State and wait for your passport to arrive, or you can send them to RushMyPassport to be processed in as little as 24 hours with preset appointments with the Department of State to reduce processing times.

How much will I save using AAA membership with RushMyPassport?

Your savings will depend on the expedited passport application service level you choose. Your AAA member discount will be shown during checkout in the order summary section before you finalize your purchase. AAA members save on RushMyPassport services, but government passport fees (execution fees) paid to the Department of State, passport photo cost, shipping, and any other associated taxes or fees are not discounted.

How do I replace a lost or stolen passport?

If you have lost your passport or if it's been stolen, you should immediately report it to the Department of State to protect yourself from identity theft. After doing this, you can start the process to replace your passport. Aside from filling out a form to report your lost or stolen passport, the process for getting it replaced is essentially the same as it is for getting a new passport.

What are execution fees?

Execution fees (also called acceptance fees) are paid to a passport acceptance agent-generally located at a government facility, such as a courthouse or post office. Passport acceptance agents are also located in regional passport agencies. In most cases, execution fees can be paid with cash, debit, or credit cards. You'll need to pay an execution fee to:

  • Apply for a new adult passport.
  • Replace a lost or stolen passport.
  • Apply for a child passport using a DS-11 form.

The execution fees are paid directly to the acceptance agent because they must verify the identity of the applicant, witness signatures, and review the documents required. Currently, the execution fee is $35 per application. Execution fees are subject to change.

There are currently no execution fees for a passport renewal by mail.


Contact A Travel Advisor

Let AAA assist you with your travel plans. Speak with a AAA Travel Avisor to plan the perfect getaway.

Become a AAA Member

We are more than Roadside Assistance. AAA members enjoy access to many travel benefits and discounts. 

chat logo